[Rhodes22-list] Your post about the Rhodes tt

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Sep 11 17:56:23 EDT 2004

No.

It's a joke.  Guess you weren't on the list when it came up.

The R-22 is a great boat backed by a great company.

Sleeping 3 adults without a boom room is a trick, but some have done it.

Read the sites suggested by Michael.  If a 22 ft cruising sailboat is right for you, most of us would tell you this is the best there is, for many many many reasons.  Let me go to my "Why I Love My Boat" folder and pick one out for you at random.  There are scores of entries--here's one from David Dawson that's typical:

I absolutely love sailing the Rhodes. There are so many reasons why it's
hard to know where to start, but here goes.  First, it's easy.  I had some
sailing experience before the Rhodes, but not that much.  With roller
furling genoa, inner mast furling main, and all lines going back to the
cockpit, I've had no problem taking the boat out by myself, even when the
wind is up.  It is easy to deploy and furl the sails to any extent needed,
easy to get a more-than-decent sail trim without endless adjustments.
Second, while the boat readily gets up to hull speed (theoretically 5.99
knots) in around 10 knots and up, it's even nicer (given the often
uncooperative summer wind on the Chesapeake Bay) that it gets up and at
least jogs when there is almost no wind--even when the wind is only around
4 or 5 knots, the boat sails;  the 175% genoa can generate power from
seemingly very little wind.  Third, it's comfortable.  The cockpit is
really big, the seats are genuinely comfortable for long periods.  I also
have the captain's seats, which I thought were a little hokey before I had
them but now can't live without them--the visibilty is just terrific.  We
also have the bimini, which is another thing I wouldn't want to do without.
While it's true that when you don't want it, you'd like it to disappear,
when you need it, you really need it.  It makes the two hours waiting for
the wind to pick up on a boiling August day more than bearable, actually
pleasant. And the pop-top is also great--we keep it up most of the time
when the wind is under 15;  it's a great place to stand and lean while
underway, and it makes it easy to move in and out of the cabin.  Fourth, it
is easy to keep control of the boat when the wind picks up.  When the boat
begins to feel as though it is overpowered with full sails, I merely lower
the boom and can handle considerably more wind before feeling the need to
reef a bit (on the ease of which see # one above)--which means I can keep
more sail out longer, with confidence. Confidence is also increased by the
solidity of the boat, for lack of a better word.  This may seem odd to say,
but it doesn't bend or flex when you walk on it, say, to go forward to set
out fenders or retrieve an anchor. And given the traveler arrangement on
the backstays, I don't worry about jibing in brisk wind--naturally, I keep
the mainsheet under control and ease the boom across, but the traveler bar
arrangement insures that if I get caught off guard or relax the sheet
prematurely, the resulting impact will be absorbed.

In short, I think the Rhodes is a boat that makes it easy and comfortable
to get on with fun sailing without a lot to worry about, but it also offers
enough opprtunity to tinker and adjust as you wish.

There are lots of other things I like about the boat--I've confined myself
here specifically to how I see some of its sailing characteristics.

Let me know if there are other things you're interested in.

David

Bill Effros