[Rhodes22-list] Seeking advices on accesories for 1983 Rhodes 22

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 10:06:45 EDT 2004

Kenny - Some of the answers will depend on your sailing waters. I sail on an
inland lake on the TN River. I don't have the boom room, pop top enclosure
or bimini. I do have a sun awning, tarp poles for boom tent (same awning)
and a dome tent rain fly that I use as a pop top enclosure. It is a cheap
solution but it works. When I overnight it is just me and my wife. We don't
have a bug problem so screened in pop top is not needed. If it is cold or
rainy I put the rain fly over the pop top and tie down. The boom room seems
like a hassle to me but those that have them seem to like them.  I would
like a bimini but I keep holding back on getting one. They are huge and I
haven't decided if I really need one.

Captains chairs - If your boat had them when you purchased fine, but I would
not pay for this add on. I agree with Roger's comment regarding aft weight.
It would be a good seat for motoring and that is about it in my view. Then
again those that have them love them.....

Coleman stove -  I have used both a single burner butane stove designed for
home use as well as my 2 burner Coleman stove using good old Coleman fuel. I
haven't used propane on my boat but with the right precautions it would work
fine. If you want a permanent system you could install something like Roger
suggests. I generally don't cook in the cabin unless it is very windy. We
anchor in very secure coves and we have no need for gimballed stove. I store
the butane in a plastic crate under cockpit seats. Coleman stove fits in the
laz. I started out using the 2 burner Coleman but have switched over to the
single burner butane stove I purchased at Target for $19.00. Just use some
common sense like don't cook in the cock pit right next to your gas tank. If
you store fuel and cook in the cockpit you should be fine. All cooking fuel
has dangers.

PortaPOtti works for us. It takes up less space and weighs less.  I have
though about adding deck pump out. I still am considering that one.

I slip my boat and use a dual 10 amp charger. Solar works but the charger
was cheaper and works better. I am not charged for my power usage either. I
have a shore power cord with the shore power plug on one end and stardard
plug on the other. Works great.

Fishing rod holder - go for it. I fish from my boat all of time!

I like to keep things simple and compared to back-packing my boat seems like
the Ritz . If I was crossing the ocean might boat would be set up
differently. For inland sailing we keep it simple.

Are your sails in good shape? An 83 with new sails will sail like a 2003
model. Is all the running and standning rigging in good shape?

Good luck!

Wally