[Rhodes22-list] Outboards

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Sep 23 02:48:09 EDT 2004

Ron,

Yes, a new engine would normally burn a little extra oil while it's being
broken in, but the whole reservoir in only two hours?  No way!  A new engine
will burn some oil until the oil rings are seated and can properly seal the
combustion cylinder from the crank case, etc. but if you went through that
much oil, you've got a problem.  I'm not saying it's a lemon.  It could just
be a gasket or a leak somewhere, but that just doesn't sound like the normal
break-in.  You said it was smoking--how excessive was it?  Was the smoke
blue, white or black?

Slim