[Rhodes22-list] Heaving To

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Apr 6 12:15:39 EDT 2005

Hank,

The general explanation provided by Mark is excellent.  I've added it to
my collection.

The R-22 with IMF is particularly well suited to heaving to in winds
from 20-30 kts.  Above 30 kts. it starts to get difficult to control an
R-22, and I get off the water under those conditions--where we sail,
those winds will push you into something--and it can be tough to move in
another direction.

Following is my answer to your question from 2001.  Larry Sparks started
this thread in 1998:

Here's what Larry Sparks had to say about heaving to:

RE   heaving to.  You have to balance the sails and rudder.  Easiest way is
to furl the jib to about 100%, tack and don't release the jib sheet, ease
out the main on the new tack to balance against the backwinded jib, and set
the tiller somewhat to leeward to further balance.  Try it, it works..Larry

It does work.

I heave to almost every time I go out.  I do it for practice because I think
it's the safest thing to do if you get caught in a storm like the ones Mike
& Michael described.  I also do it because I generally single-hand and it
allows me to grab lunch; take a leak; or do whatever I need to do wherever I
happen to be without losing control or setting an anchor.

I've gone out in gale force winds to try it out, and found it works just as
well when you need it.  I've never been caught in a storm, but one day I
will be and when that day comes you can be sure I will heave to.

The Rhodes-22 doesn't come about easily when the winds exceed 25-30 knots.
I find it simpler to jibe under those conditions.  I furl most of both sails
before starting this maneuver.

Heaving to is incredibly peaceful even when the winds are howling.  Both
sails are reduced to comfortable levels.  The main spills most of the air
that hits it.  Just enough jib is let out to balance the main.  The tiller
is lashed to steer the boat sort of into the wind.  The wind will push the
boat somewhat sideways at 11/2 to 2 knots.  Your course doesn't zigzag.  You
just bob along like a cork; your direction is like a slow moving crab.

You don't have to do or touch anything.  Just watch where you are going.  It
is effortless, and can be done for days at a time if need be.

A friend of mine found himself on an 80 foot wooden sailing vessel midway
between the continental United States and Bermuda when hurricane Mitch hit.
The captain of the ship (a woman by the way) decided to heave to.  My friend
took videos of the storm.  It looks nothing like the "perfect storm."  It's
just a half dozen people on jacklines bobbing along on a big wooden boat
debating the size of the waves (they were in the 25-50 foot range) and
reflexively shouting "Wheeeeeeeee" as they slide down the faces of the
waves.  They hove to for 2 days.  My friend says in the future he will
always heave to in a storm.  So will I.

Bill Effros