[Rhodes22-list] Heaving To

Nell nellwolfe at cox.net
Wed Apr 6 13:38:36 EDT 2005

I like to think of "heaving to" as simply as bringing the boat's head (bow)
into the wind and becoming still in the water. The current and waves may
move the boat but the wind no longer fills the sails so no momentum is
gained by wind filling the sails.

In action, push the tiller leeward. As the boat passes through the wind,
ease the mainsail but leave the jib sheeted to the weather.
The boat will slow and the tiller should be pushed to the now leeward side
of the boat. The bow will head into the wind.
The jib is backed and the forward motion of the boat will stop.

Hope that helps.

nellwolfe