[Rhodes22-list] Looking for a used R22, southeast US

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Apr 7 21:18:54 EDT 2005

Cheryl:
	You said you went to see Moses?  So you went to Barnegat Bay in New
Jersey? All of us on this list know that Bob Moses sails in New Jersey.
Just ask his sailing partner, Jay.
	Somehow, I think you are Peter Thorn's neighbors.  However, it is
about a four-hour drive to Lake Hartwell.  Inland lake sailing is different
from sailing on Albemarle or Pamlico Sounds.  I moved from paddling canoes
to sailing.  The Rhodes22 is an easy boat sail, very tolerant of mistakes,
very durable, and unlike the pictures posted earlier in the week has marine
flotation so that it will not sink.
	The IMF is unique in a boat this size.  About 4 or 5 years ago, Stan
quoted an owner with Standard Main about $4,000 to convert his boat to the
IMF.  I suspect that it is a lot more today.  The masts are extruded for
Stan with his own die used to fabricate the aluminum.  He has to order a
bunch to make an order.  The numbers are that he does not have a lot of IMF
mast available to convert older boats.  When you go to Edenton and see a
bunch of mast, either they are standard mast or IMFs off boats in recycle
that have to go back on those boats.  Then there are costs of sails and
rigging.
	There are a couple of standard mast boats available at attractive
prices.  Just remember they are not the IMF boats that Rummy or Bill extols.
	I have an older IMF boat that I bought recycled from Stan.
Occasionally, you find newer boats at less than the price that Stan charges
for a recycle.  When boats go thru recycle, they are cleaned up and worn-out
components replaced. Most get all new lines.  When you get a casual sale
boat, then most of the time you have to have the experience to know what to
replace.  A first timer would do better getting a recycle from Stan, then
for the first year, you could get on his case with any problems you
encounter.
	A first timer should have the IMF; it is much easier for the novice
to learn with.  Go back and look at Bill's post about the benefits of the
IMF.  What Bill usually does not say, is the Rhodes 22 was not his first
sailboat.
	Read the chapter that Mary Lou wrote in 'Sailing Small'.  If you
cannot make the trip to Lake Hartwell to sail with Rummy, do go back on some
Saturday or Sunday and sail with the maestro.  Ask him about his brush with
the Harbor Master at Annapolis.  I was there, it did not seem like we were
close.
	In summery, get a R 22, you will enjoy it and enjoy learning about
sailing in it.  If you have questions, post them to this list.  The replies
can be on point, irrelevant or downright sarcastic.  Take time to study the
archives, unfortunately, so often people do not remember to change the
subject line.  Read all the FAQs at Geocities.  Read about Phil Rhodes at:
http://astro.temple.edu/~bstavis/pr/rhodes.htm

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Sailing on Rummy's private pond, aka, Lake Hartwell
http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/hartwell/
and http://www.negia.net/~bostrom/BWSC/