[Rhodes22-list] Boat trip

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Aug 4 16:39:04 EDT 2005

Michael,

As you know, it has long been my position that sailing is terminally
boring from a passenger's point of view.

If you accept this premise, the only way to preserve a marriage and go
sailing at the same time, is to provide abundant entertainment that can
be delivered via the water, but that is not, itself, sailing.

If I were you, here is what I would do.  I'm not going to fill in all
the blanks, because if you reject the concept I will just be wasting my
time.  But if you think you may follow up on the idea, I will think some
more about it.

I would go South, young man, Go South!

Instead of thinking about Newport and Martha's Vineyard, I would think
about NYC and the Jersey Shore.

There is no shortage of moorings and anchorages between Westport and
Cape May.  I would sail in short hops rather than motor in long
passages.  I would sleep late on board, let the kids jump into the
water, beach anchor, take walks on islands, picnic on the beach, etc.

Interspersed with these activities, I would plan stops at nice hotels on
the water where your girls can shower, and sleep in big beds.  The newly
rebuilt waterfront hotel in Greenwich is very luxurious; you can pull
your boat right up to it; it's within a block of central Greenwich, it
has an excellent restaurant, and they make deals on certain days of the
week.  Be there the cheap days when they can't fill the place.

There are nice restaurants on the water everywhere.  Are you a member of
a Yacht Club?  Many have Sunday brunches that are from another time; and
if you are a member of one, you can go to many of the others.  Show your
kids how the Vanderbilts and Rockefellers spent their money.

Playland has fireworks on Wednesday and Friday nights.  These are not
cheesy, and are clearly visible from my mooring in Greenwich.  You can
anchor close enough so you can feel the pressure of the explosions. I
think there is some way to dock at Playland, although I have never done
it.  It is one of the most lovely amusement parks in the country.  Take
your family ashore, ride the carousel.  Buy some cotton candy.

City Island has dozens of Seafood houses, many with docks.  There are
also public docks.

Going under the bridges you have all gone over so many times is a great
experience.  "Daddy--are we going to make it?"

The East River is fun.  See New York as you have never seen it before.

You can Dock at the 23rd Street marina for $2 a foot.

Pull up to the South Street Seaport.  Go shopping.

Circle the Statue of Liberty.  Go to Ellis Island.  Is Cirque du Soliel
at Liberty Park?

Go up the Hudson to the George Washington Bridge.  Stop at the Chelsea
Piers.  Have dinner at Arthur's Landing in New Jersey.  Stop off at
Piermont.

Back Down the Hudson, under the Verrezano Narrows bridge.  Watch out for
the ferries and the ocean going traffic--they all have the right of way.

Stop off at Asbury Park.  Seaside Heights.  Visit Jay on Long Beach
Island.  Gamble in Atlantic City.  Stay in a quaint Inn in Cape May.

Turn around, hit things you missed on the way down.  Return along the
Long Island side of the Sound.  Oyster Bay.  Port Jefferson. etc.

If done properly you can all have a great time.

Bill Effros