[Rhodes22-list] New Member Introduction

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Dec 6 12:13:57 EST 2005

Bud,

I'm open to anything except passing on new duties to people who already
do more than most--like Ed and Michael.

People are so anxious to skip over what Michael sends that they entirely
miss the fundamentals--witness "Get me off this list!"

My new member thought was that while new people may not know anything
about sailing or Rhodes 22s, they do know how they got here, and they
know that people helped them learn our version of proper etiquette (Ed,
pardon my French).  They can join in by helping those even newer than
themselves.

Starting with Ed's message, I thought new people could either just pass
it along, or modify it, or learn how to link archival answers, or learn
how to search archives, or...

I know that others will naturally jump in, but I've noticed that some
people are warmly welcomed, while others can be completely
unacknowledged due solely to circumstances beyond everyone's control.  I
thought that by giving new members responsibilities that they knew they
could perform, or could learn from the list if they don't know how to do
these things, and could pass on to even newer members...

I know you get the idea.  Will you volunteer as new member "mentor" for
a set period of time with the responsibility to pass off that
responsibility?  It has been my experience that every time we try to get
the general list to assume responsibilities, it always devolves down to
"Let's let Ed and Michael do it."

I've been on the list for 7 or 8 years now, and every time we try to
share the responsibilities it always winds up that either one individual
takes the bull by the horns and does all the work (Tom Evans -- FAQ) or
we talk it to death with everyone suggesting that somebody else should
do the work.

Chance are that it will happen again, but I keep trying...

Bill Effros