[Rhodes22-list] The Hydrogen Economy

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 9 10:19:02 EST 2005

I live about 25 miles from Oak Ridge National Lab.

http://www.ornl.gov/

For those of you that don't know Oak Ridge is known as the Atomic City and
was the birth place of our very first Atomic Weapons. It is one of the
leading Atomic Research facilities in the World today. Oak Ridge was a
"secret city" created and built by the US Government and was not even listed
on maps for the first years of its existence. The Lab's initial purpose was
builidng atomic warheads. Now it spends more time managing waste and doing
research.

Many of my firends are employed at ORNL some in direct overisght positions
with DOE. One of ORNL's main concerns now is dealing with the storage of
waste from way back when. The transportation and long term storage of waste
is still a real problem in their eyes and they are in the "business". People
should be spooked because the dangers are real. The reality is the waste is
not handled by "Government" employees but rather government contracters
managed by the DOE. For years Martin Marrietta managed the Lab. Prior to M&M
  it was Union Carbide. These big companies in turn contract smaller
companies. Bechtel - Jacobs has the contract now. The safety and storage is
awarded to the lowest bidder that meets the specs.

We had an area shut down here just last year because of a "leaky waste" tail
following a truck leaving ORNL headed for a disposal facility. I have a very
close friend (sails a Sea Pearl) who is pretty high up in DOE oversight. He
is the guy that makes sure the various companies follow procedures. When
accidents happens he signs off on the report for DOE. I ask him how
something like this could happen and he just shakes his head and says "if
you only knew...".

On the plus side once the leak was detected the road was closed. They
literally removed the road and the ground underneath and replaced with new.
No one was hurt. I still think nuke can be good but I am not convinced that
the transportation and long term storage problems are well in hand.

Wally