[Rhodes22-list] Topping lift

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Jan 20 23:48:34 EST 2005

Rob Lowe wrote:

> Our 1976 Rhodes doesn't have a topping lift and I'd like to add one this season.  Any suggestions?  There is an attachment point on the boom, but no line.  Is this a fixed length line or adjustable?
-------------------------------
Rob -

In addition to the useful remarks by Bob, Mark, and Ed,
I'd add that a topping lift of sufficient strength can
be used in combination with the boom and a handy billy
or re-rigged boom vang as a crane to lift heavy objects
aboard - such as an injured person or cargo.

IMHO, a sailor should always be thinking how any piece
of gear can be used in novel ways - as many as possible -
so that choices of alternatives are already in mind in
an emergency.

--
Robert Skinner