[Rhodes22-list] Dogs

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Jul 7 17:32:29 EDT 2005

Our dear old friend, Major, a chocolate lab, has gone to where ever
good dogs go when they die.  He was 13.  I don't like doglessness and
in my entire life I've spent very little time without a dog or two
around the house.  So after a few days of mourning, we went out and got
a new puppy.  I've had a long string of very large dogs--labs and
shepherds--but we decided to make life a little easier and get a
smaller breed this time around.  We picked out a 10 week old miniature
black poodle and named him Rio.   (see attached)

Because of Major's bigness, we didn't take him sailing much, but we
hope to get Rio acclimated on the sailboat and I was wondering if
anybody had some good advice on dogs aboard.  West Marine sells doggy
floatation vests with handles on the top to easily get them in or out
of the water.  (not doable with a big lab--he had to learn to get up
the boarding ladder!)  Not to gross anybody out, but I'm wondering
about training him to do his little business on the fore deck where a
bucket of water will wash it away.  Any thoughts from you dog-owners
out there?

Slim