[Rhodes22-list] Curtis and the big boat

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Jul 17 12:03:31 EDT 2005

Curtis:

     The idea behind this email list is post replies to everybody, that is
the whole list.  There are over 200 subscribers to this thing.  Only a small
percentage routinely makes post.

     When you put everything out there, including dirty laundry, you never
know what might happen.  On the other hand, for that matter who knows who
might reply?  It could be a guy just down the street with just the boat you
are looking for.

     If you are looking for a boat with the amenities of 30 footer, you are
looking at the wrong boat.  Have you read Mary Lou's chapter in the book,
"Sailing Small?"  If you want to take two other couples overnight, the
Rhodes 22 is just too small.

     However, if you want a fun and easy boat to sail for a day, then you
cannot beat it.  It is very safe and very tolerant of mistakes.  With its
nine stays, it has gotten back to dock after any number of strange
occurrences.(search archives)

     Older boats generally do not have the IMF, and some new boats do not.
Racers and those that go to conditions that are more difficult still use
standard sails.

     However, if you go back and read Bill Effros's posts about the IMF and
the furling foresail, the boat is uniquely adjustable to conditions.  You
can sail Rummy's style with the rail in the water.  You can adjust the sails
to sail flat, which is said to be the fastest.

     Thin water, with a swing centerboard, you get this thump.  You bring up
the board and find deeper water.

     The only boats that I have recently seen posted worthy of a second look
would be Raz's and the one from Wisconsin.  I am limiting to IMF.  An
advantage of a recycled from Stan is new or good running rigging.
Notwithstanding Rummy's comment about recently replacing old lines, most
lines will deteriorate from use and UV within a few years.  I have replaced
many of the thinner lines on my boat.  Furthermore, with a recycle if you
use the boat for a while and find something needing replacement, just
contact the Maestro.

     As for the project boats, they take months and sometimes years to get
back in good order.  They also take a lot of boat knowledge and tools.  We
have not heard from Lou lately.  Hello Lou.

Ed K

Greenville, SC, USA

Addendum for Curtis:  http://users2.ev1.net/~barr/