[Rhodes22-list] New Sailor

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 20:56:31 EDT 2005

For those of you who followed the thread about my
youngest son considering joining the armed forces a
few months ago, here's the update;  Alex Haslett was
sworn into the US Navy yesterday in San Diego.  Alex
scored very well on the entrance exams and would have
been offered any school he wanted but for a minor
incident with the local Nazi police force, but got an
assignment to an "A" school in Avionics anyway.  The
bad news is that they currently have no openings until
March of next year, so, he gets to enjoy the bottom
rung of the blue collar world a few months longer.
They gave him an enhancement to the  Navy College Fund
(he lost his "my dad's an airline pilot
scholarship")and will get some college credit for the
technical courses he takes.  I had to help him with
the second flat tire in two weeks on the way to the
airport.  It was about 95 degrees in Memphis and
roughly 95 per cent humidity.  As a former aircraft
mechanic, my patience is limited with mechanically
challenged people, and that would definitely include
Alex.  When the tire change was over and we were
dripping wet with sweat I said, "Son, I pay a lot of
taxes so the Navy can have some really nice equipment,
do me and everyone else a favor, never, ever get near
any of it with a wrench!".  The recruiter offered him
an earlier class date for an aviation mechanic slot.
Alex said "my dad doesn't thing that would be a good
idea".  Everyone had a good laugh.  So there's the
story.

Good sailing son!

Brad Haslett
s/v CoraShen