[Rhodes22-list] New Sailor

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Jul 22 03:40:07 EDT 2005

Brad,

Congrats to Alex, but hey, not everyone can be a mechanical genius.  Does he
have any musical skills?  The Navy has a lot of opportunity for musicians.
When I was 18, I tried to go there and do that but they wouldn't take me.
Something about being "4-P."  In case of war, I'm a prisoner!
(Really it was "4-F" because of my wrecked elbow.)

Seriously, in addition to THE Navy Band (very elite, lots of John Philip
Souza, etc.) they also have all these 4 and 5 piece dance bands that go
around to the officers clubs and entertain.  I've met a bunch of these guys
over the years and they all think it's pretty cool duty.  And incidentally,
that's what I would have named the band--Cool Duty.

Slim Chance and the Gamblers