[Rhodes22-list] boat full of water, please help

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Jul 28 02:23:40 EDT 2005

Hear hear Brad. I'm always intrigued at the recommendation of "sell it and buy something you don't need to work on". Sell it to who? Is the recommendation to take something that is irreparable, and sell it to someone else, representing that it is repairable? If not, if it's repairable, why not stay and repair it.

Sometimes, there is joy in converting "junk" to something useful. It's really ironic coming from fellow sailors. After all, if efficiency is the ultimate goal, shouldn't we be finding another mode of transportation?

Alan, if you enjoy what you're doing, keep it.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> flybrad at yahoo.com 7/28/2005 12:06:17 AM >>>
Forgive me for taking issue with the experts on the
list, but this is my experience.  Long term water
infiltration on a boat is a bad thing, BUT,  an
overnight soaking is not unsurvivable.  You didn't
take on that much water from leaks from the ports,
etc.  What you have is a cockpit water collection
problem.  Look at the aft cockpit scuppers, especially
the hoses that run from the scuppers (drains) to the
stern drains.  If there is a leak in the hose that
connects the two, it will drain directly into the
bilge (well maybe not directly but it finds a way).
The R-22 has a huge cockpit given the overall size of
the boat, and is a very large area for collection of
rain.  MJM is correct to some degree, if this has been
a long term problem, scrap the boat.  If this is a one
time event, or an infrequent event, no foul - no harm!
Drips add up, and time claims all souls.  It doesn't
sound like you're a client for a new boat from Stan,
but that doesn't mean your labor of love is hopeless.
Your mileage may vary.  Plastic doesn't rust and
classic boats never go out of style.  Wood will rot
but they still grow the stuff! Sailing is like
running, dare I say sex, do it at your own pace.

Brad

Yahoo! Mail