[Rhodes22-list] Oriental to Ocracoke - Labor Day

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 28 13:58:53 EDT 2005

Bill W, Alex, Rummy, Ed and Everyone,

There seems to be some growing interest among some of my trailer sailing buddies to sail from Oriental NC (Neuse River) to Ocracoke NC (Silver Lake anchorage, Outer Banks).  It's a distance of about 50 miles and the idea would be to sail there and back in three days -- provided we have the full co-operation of the weather.

Friday 9/2 would be travel and rig day.
Sat 9/3 early departure
Monday 9/5 or Tuesday 9/6 would be de-rig and go home day.

If the weather turns bad, I will bail.  It's too early for Nor'easters, so if we don't get a hurricane the weather is most likely to be OK.  Prevailing winds are SW and seabreeze is likely.  Each skipper is going at their own risk and is solely responsible for their own safety.

So far, George B (Greensboro, NC - renovated Paceship 23) and Lawrence M (Cary, NC) - Tanzer 26) appear to be very interested in this trip.  There may be a few other boats from the Greensboro LTYC trailer sailor club.

Any Rhodies interested in joining us would be more than welcome.   With a good eye on the weather, the Rhodes 22 is a quite capable vessel for this trip across the second largest essentially landlocked body of water on the eastern seaboard.

PT
Raven
Chapel Hill, NC