[Rhodes22-list] Anchors

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Jun 22 08:47:30 EDT 2005

Slim,

Rummy doesn't know me.

Of course I store anchors under the seat. (As well as on the bow and in
the Laz.)

I can get to the ones under the seat fastest.

I have a long line flaked in a Rubbermaid 11 gallon under the port
seat.  The line has a snap shackle on the end.  There is no chain on
this line.  On top of the line are 3 anchors:  a Fortress, in parts,
inside a nylon bag designed for the purpose; and 2 folding grapnels of
different weights--either 1 1/2 and 3 lbs. or 3 lbs. and 5 lbs. -- I'm
experimenting this summer.

I can snap on and deploy either of the grapnels in less than a minute.
The Fortress takes 3-5 minutes to assemble and deploy.  I can teach crew
to assemble as we approach an anchoring spot.

The Rubbermaid is deployed toward the bow under the seat where it cannot
escape from under the seat without first being slid sternward.  It never
escapes when heeling.  The anchors cannot jump over the lip the
Rubbermaid and under the lip of the seat at the same time.  There are no
exposed anchor tines.

I use these anchors most because they are most accessible.  I anchor
from the stern most of the time because I am lazy.

Bill Effros