[Rhodes22-list] Bob et al on recycled boats.

Stephen Staum staum at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 5 14:34:06 EST 2005

Well said, Roger.  I come away from all this realizing what a bargain I got.
I bought my '87 Rhodes two years ago (from the 2nd owner) for $6,000.  It
came w/ a recently reconditioned IMF mainsail, working (albeit slightly
underpowered) 4 HP two stroke outboard, GBI furling 150% genoa, like new:
cockpit cushions, and pop-top canvas cover, clean interior (lake boat, never
used overnight, never been in salt water) meaning "like new": stove and
portapotti and never used fresh water tank and very low mileage trailer.  It
even came with a set of dishes!  After 2 seasons of use I sent the jib out
for some stiching and will replace a fraying forestay (cost for both about
$200).  When funds permit, I hope to upgrade to a 8 HP four stroke outboard
which will be more suited to the coastal ocean sailing that I do (about
$1800).  The only other expenses have been:  bottom paint ($56), hand held
GPS ($175), hand held VHF ($125), gas grill ($150), flares and fire
extinguisher ($50), misc fenders and docklines ($75), binoculars ($50) and
solar panel to charge the battery ($28).  Altogether it is a pretty cheap
thrill for a lot of great sailing.  I highly recommend a well equipped, well
maintained older boat for anyone on a budget - if you can find one.  No,
mine is not for sale.

Stephen Staum
"Carol Lee"
'87 Rhodes 22