[Rhodes22-list] Genoa size

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Mar 15 11:52:10 EST 2005

George,

I sail on Long Island Sound 20 kt.s from where Michael sails.  I have
the 175 and I love the 175.  There are many others with 175s who love
them.  My wife hates to heel.  There is no reason to heel just because
you have a 175--you learn to balance the 175 with the main sail--it is
the main sail that causes most of the heeling--you can roll up the 175
so it is much lower overall than the main sail.  Then it drives you
faster forward without heeling if you properly adjust the main sail.

Steve noted that a reason to not get the 175 was a racing handicap.  The
175 is a faster sail than the 155--it just isn't faster enough to
justify taking the handicap--but it is faster if you know how to use it.

Some people get UPS sails for when the wind isn't at 10-20.  I use my
175 at those times.

Stan designed the boat for simple cruising with the 175.  No sail
changes.  Continuously adjustable from the cockpit.  Safe.  Reliable.  Easy.

I always sail alone.  Even when there are other people on board, I am
still single handing.  I can effortlessly do interesting things while
others on board can chat and drink and carouse without anxiety.

If you understand that you are moving up from a 2001 Precision 23 to a
1999 Rhodes 22, then get the full benefit of what Stan has built into
the boat, and learn to use the sails he specified.  It will take you 5
years to really know how to set those sails in all conditions.  But once
you know how to use them, you will be able to sail past bigger and newer
boats whether the wind is 3 kts or 30 kts.

Bill Effros