[Rhodes22-list] 90% jib

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Mar 18 10:16:50 EST 2005

Peter, Bob,

Use this link to take a look at an annotated detail photo of the bow of
Dynamic Equilibrium:

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/Roller_Furling.jpg

Note the HD padeye about 12 inches behind the roller furler, the one which
has the outboard end of the whisker pole snapped onto it.   Besides whisker
pole storage, that HD padeye serves as the tack attachment point for my
cruising spinnaker &/or storm jib.

However, even though the foredeck is plywood cored, it was not designed to
be loaded in the manner in which high luff tension on a headsail will load
it.  The foredeck was designed to withstand loads directed downward from
above from things like people standing on the foredeck &/or the hull flexing
upward due to backstay tension.  These designed-for types of loads will
place the nonskid skin of the foredeck into compression.  The foredeck was
not designed to withstand an upward angled tension (pulling apart) load from
the luff of a headsail.  This type of load on the HD padeye will put the
nonskid skin of the foredeck into tension.   One would expect to see
hairline cracks forming in the nonskid foredeck around the padeye running in
directions perpendicular to this tension load as the foredeck starts to fail
from this sort of loading.  The failure will be a cumulative damage type of
phenomena - i.e. Every time the HD padeye is loaded beyond a certain
critical threshold, even for a split second, the hairline cracks in the
foredeck will grow and the critical load threshold will decrease for the
next load cycle.  At the very least, these cracks will allow water intrusion
into the plywood core and one can envision much worse scenarios!

To prevent this failure, I installed a tension load transfer system down
below in the V-berth area.  I purchased identical padeyes to the HD unit on
the foredeck and the OEM bow towing eye.  Using longer stainless steel thru
bolts and nuts, I installed these padeyes on the inside of the cabin as
"backing plates" for the HD padeye and OEM bow towing eye.  Then, using a
combination of off-the-shelf stainless steel shackles and turn buckles, I
connected these two padeyes to form a mechanical tension link.  The geometry
of my installation causes the turnbuckle to end up at about a 45 deg angle
relative to the roof of the inner cabin liner.  Now, when headsail luff
tension loads the HD padeye on my foredeck, the load is transfered thru the
tension load transfer link to the bow towing padeye and the very rigid
structure of the hull right at the bow.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of this installation down inside the
cabin in the V-berth area.  Dynamic Equilibrium is still in winter storage
at the Midland County Fairgrounds, so I don't have easy access to it.
Hopefully, my word description of the installation will be sufficient to
explain what I did and why.  I installed this tension load transfer system
back in 1989, have used it very severely over all these years, and have zero
leaks or any visible hairline cracks around the HD padeye to this day.

The devil is in the details gentlemen.  Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium