[Rhodes22-list] Keel/CB painting

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu May 5 14:53:46 EDT 2005

Slim,

A lot of the stuff I do is just out of curiosity, not because I ever
intend to do it.  Then something happens, and I do it only because I
know I can.  That is sometimes useful.

I generally favor Steve's bottom painting technique--It's impossible to
hit the bunks in the exact same location 2 years in a row, so if you
miss that spot this year, you'll get it next year.  I started jacking up
the boat out of curiosity, and got so good at it, that I no longer think
about it.  It's like using Stan's mast raising gear.  It's so simple and
safe to use that you don't think about it any more.

I jacked up the boat very high just to see if I could.  (With the right
equipment--3 hydraulic jacks; 3 jack stands--you can lift the boat off
the bunks in perfect safety in less than 5 minutes.)

Then I started having problems with my centerboard.  We get such
aggressive growth here on LIS that the barnacles can wedge the
centerboard so it will not move.  The water doesn't effectively ablate
the bottom paint inside the centerboard slot because it is not
constantly moving the way it does elsewhere due to the constant tidal
changes and accompanying currents.

So it became important to me to bottom paint the centerboard and slot.
I now make more of an effort to do so.

I work in an open boat yard, so there is no problem moving my trailer.
I have a single axle, which also makes things easier.  When my son and I
started moving the trailer under the boat to paint under the bunks and
inside the centerboard slot, we moved the supports around, and all of a
sudden the rear axle of the trailer was in front of the wooden safety
blocks supporting the keel.  We didn't plan it.  It's like the old
plastic puzzle with the numbers you slide around--sometimes you have to
temporarily put 8 in front of 7 to later make 9 fall behind 8.

I never balance the boat on the blocks.  They are just a safety net.
The boat always rests on the jack stands, or on the trailer bunks.  The
aft section of the boat is so flat, it is easy to support the boat in
terms of left-right balance using 2 jack stands in the rear.  I use a
bow jack stand with a V shaped bracket that can be positioned anywhere
forward of the centerboard slot for forward-backward stability.  I put
blocks under the keel so the boat can never drop straight down.  Every
time I lift the boat it comes off the blocks.  I can move the trailer
axle past the blocks at this time.  The trailer is still under the boat,
so the boat still can't drop all the way down.

You can lift the boat using poppets by turning the collars, but this
closely resembles work, so I tend to avoid it.  If you get hydraulic
jacks, along with poppets that are open on the bottom, you can place the
jacks under the moving piece of the poppet and use hydraulics to lift
the boat.  Then turn the collars to lock the moving part in place.  This
requires remarkably little effort.  If you are as lazy as I am, you will
get 3 jacks, so you don't have to move a single one from poppet to poppet.

Once raising and lowering the boat becomes easy, you start to see
advantages to being able to do it.  For the most part, there is no
advantage to sliding out the trailer, but every now and again it is
useful to be able to do it.  (BTW--in terms of moving the boat on the
trailer to achieve trailering balance, this technique allows you to put
the boat anywhere on the trailer you think it should be--and if you take
along the right equipment you can do it while you're literally on the road.)

Bill Effros