[Rhodes22-list] New sailor

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Wed May 25 16:37:55 EDT 2005

Hello Kathy,

Welcome to the list.  Did I read that you're a North Carolinian?  I live in
Chapel Hill and have been sailing one-design boats at Kerr Lake since the
early '80s.

I think learning to sail is much easier on a smaller boat because they are
more responsive than larger, heavier boats.  You can find out more quickly
what you are doing right and wrong, by the feel of it.  If you really just
want to learn to sail as smoothly as possible, check out the Lake Townsend
Yacht Club (LTYC) in Greensboro, NC , less than a one hour drive from Chapel
Hill.   http://www.greensboro.com/ltyc/ .  The dues are only about $50 a
year because they are subsidized by the city and they also have very
reasonably priced sailing classes taught by volunteer instructors.  LTYC
uses Sunfish style boats for the classes.  They're called Phantoms, I think.
The Mayors Cup is coming up at LTYC the first weekend in June.

When it comes time to purchase a boat, the R22 will be hard to beat for an
all around family trailerable cruiser.  It sails much like a dinghy and is
quite responsive.  My father owned a Rhodes 22 in the late 70s and early 80s
and it was a great family boat.  I have never met an R22 owner who did not
love the boat and the way it sails.  Can't say that for many other classes
of boats.

Unfortunately, I currently own two Rhodes 22 boats.  First I bought a 1984
project boat and started to improve it.  Then, having grossly underestimated
the amount of free time I have available to "fix up" a project boat, I
bought a 1988 Rhodes in great shape from Mark and Julie Kaynor.  In
retrospect, I would highly recommend Stan's recycled R22 boats.  Stan's
recycled boats have a factory warranty and buy-back trade-up guarantee.
Stan is a straight shooter and will treat you right.

Good luck!

PT

R22 Raven
R22 Phoenix