[Rhodes22-list] New sailor

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Wed May 25 16:56:46 EDT 2005

Hi Kathy and welcome.

3 days of sailing a 14 footer is not much experience, granted.  And frankly,
if you get a Rhodes22 now, you'll need some lessons for sure.  The R22 would
certainly be too much for you without having some further instruction.

That said, there are many here on this list that have had a whole life time
of sailing experience in widely varying circumstances, and they've arrived
at the conclusion that the R22 is just right.  My previous boat was a
Montgomery 15, and when I took the Rhodes out for the first time it seemed
like a "ship" and at first I was quite intimidated by its hugeness.  Well,
that lasted for about an hour until I realized how easy it was to handle.
By the second outing, I was single-handing with very little trouble.

You won't find anyone here on this list that doesn't love the R22.  If you
decide to go for it, you won't regret it and you'll find lots of support
right here.  But by all means, get some more lessons.

Slim