[Rhodes22-list] Memorial Day

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon May 30 07:28:57 EDT 2005

Just got this in my company e-mail box this morning
from our chief pilot.  I've stripped company and
personal names hoping that keeps me in compliance with
my contract.  Enjoy Memorial Day.  Brad

---------------------

Indy 500, hot dogs, burgers, bbq, softball, golf. Must
be Memorial Day weekend, i.e., the
traditional beginning of summer, suntans, boats, and
vacations. We've seen the ads on driving safe,
no drinking and driving, numbers of accidents and
deaths expected, worst times to travel, cost of
gas, etc, etc, etc. Seems that it's more about leisure
and fun than it is about remembrance and
honor.

I don't do this sappy stuff very often or about many
things, but of all the holidays, Memorial Day
is the most significant one to me. This year again
seems to be weighing on me a bit more than
normal. I suspect it's a combination of negotiation
emotion, job stress, listening to stories of
bad luck or hard luck, and reading every day about
what American Soldier or Marine has been
car-bombed or lost a limb in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Every one of us probably knows someone today who
is directly involved or affected by U.S. policies on
terrorism and defense. In fact, we all are.
Air Ops (AOD) at XXXXX still has 58 crewmembers, 2
mechanics, a sim instructor and a crew scheduler
on active duty recall.

I know that many of you know about Memorial Day and if
you do, skip the next paragraph. Otherwise,
here is a quick tutorial.

Decoration Day, as Memorial Day was originally called,
was established in 1868 and began as a
commemorative to our Civil War dead on both sides. It
was officially established as a national
holiday in 1971 and rededicated as a remembrance of
those who died in war defending our Country.
It covers every American skirmish from Lexington Green
to Fort Sumter to Fallujah and technically
occurs on May 30. There are two ceremonial rites that
are exercised on Memorial Day. First, fly the
flag at half-mast until noon, and then hoist it to
full mast. Secondly, take a Moment of
Remembrance at 3 p.m. local to honor those men and
women who gave their lives in defense of our
Country. If you are on the road, turn your lights on.

Plato said, "Only the dead have seen the end of war".
History continues to bear this out, as here
we are again in the good fight.  Americans and their
allies (that would be the ever-reliable Brits
and Aussies) are being targeted, overtly and covertly,
all over the globe. Thus, the war is hardly
self-contained and, in fact, spills over from the
combat zones into every day life for many people
throughout the world; the Middle East, Indonesia,
India, Philippines, the Stans (Kazakhstan, etc),
Columbia, Venezuela….sounds like our route system, eh?
The Western World is under assault, make no
mistake about it.

Let me close this with a few thoughts for this holiday
weekend.

First, we have scores of employees who are also
reservists that are critical to national defense.
Balancing a life of XXXX, military and family is a
delicate task. Thanks for your dedication.
Second, we fly a route system that puts some of us in
the middle of these hot spots every day of
the year. Safe and secure applies to layovers too.
Third, let's remember our troops who are still
alive and "over there",  letting the rest of us
barbecue and boat and golf and enjoy the weekend.
Lastly, and most importantly, let's remember this is a
celebration of honor for the ultimate sacrifice.

If you're out there doing the XXXXX shuffle, thanks.
Stay alert and back each other up. Have a
safe, secure Memorial Day, wherever you are. This
seems like a good time to break out the patriotic
ties.....Memorial Day through Flag Day to Independence
Day.....but be careful where you are at.
Don't make yourself a target.

And remember the U.S. serviceman.....he carries our
water.

XXXXXX
USNR-R