[Rhodes22-list] Getaway is finally wet

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Tue May 31 12:54:08 EDT 2005

Well, along with Fandango, Getaway is finally wet too.  That's not to say she's fully ready to sail, but she's in the water and nestled in Mark and Julie's old slip at the lake (thanks, Mark, nice neighborhood).  The setup and launch went reasonably well.  I borrowed a buddy of mine to assist with rigging and stepping the mast.  My wife and I have done it by ourselves, but a third person makes it much safer (I don't not have the GB mast raising system).  The main problem is, again, the engine.

You may recall my engine got stolen towards the end of the season last year.  I bought a used one off of eBay and should have done some more homework.  There was a 2003 model boat being auctioned off that included a 9.9hp Yamaha 4 stroke engine.  I contacted the seller directly and told him I didn't need the boat, but was interested in the motor.  The boat sale fell through and the guy offered me the engine at a reasonable price.  Well, I assumed a 2003 boat would have a 2003 engine.  Wrong.  Engine turned out to be a 1989 model.

Note to file.  Be more diligent about checking out what you buy on eBay.

So I have this engine at home and start working on it last week.  Turns out the tiller handle is broken (I can see where PO had used duct tape to hold it together), part of the linkage for the carburetor is broken, which doesn't seem to matter much and the engine runs fine.  Biggest problem though was the distinct lack of cooling water coming out of the pilot hole.  Grrrrrr.  Checked the inlet screen which is clear.  So I'm faced with sinking more money into an engine that needs parts and service and is already 16 years old and I've got more money in it than it's really worth.  And I want to splash this weekend.

So, after discussing with the wife and feeling somewhat stupid and embarrassed, I do what I should have done all along and get on-line and order a brand new 8hp 4 stroke Nissan engine which should be here by the end of this week.

Note to file.  When faced with the need for an engine, buy a new one and be done with it.

The engine with a broken tiller handle and no cooling water will (did) work enough to get from the launch ramp to the slip where Getaway is tied up.  Once the new engine gets here, do an engine swap and then we'll be ready to actually sail.  Oh, that and I'll remember to bring the boat tiller along too.  It was not with the rest of the sail gear and got left behind.  Guess there is something to be said for checklists :)

So, even though we are splashed, I hope to be sailing next weekend!

Yeah, and does anyone need a 100 pound Yamaha engine?  Might make a good boat anchor.

Rob Lowe
S/V Getaway