[Rhodes22-list] Slim's point on Sails

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Nov 6 07:12:56 EST 2005

Slim,
	The analogy to cars is really asking the question, what is the
useful life of canvas and Dacron sails?  I have two pup tents that I
received used over 30 years ago.  They had good use before I got them, and
took them to a canvas shop for restitching.  In today's world, backpackers
use ultra light tents.  However, my two pup tents still find occasional use
for overnight tenting.  In retrospect, they still work.
	Our main sails and furling genoas are protected from the weather
that is why we have the sacrificial fabric.  Consideration should be given
to  some of us put excessive tension on the fabric that use may hasten their
demise.  However, when recut and restitched as Jay did, there may be years
of use still there.   Albeit, not use in racing which test the limits of
everything.
	Alex uses a high tech thread in building his canvas products.  Maybe
we need to have Alex do the restitching?  Where is Alex's input on this
question?  What is the name of that special thread he uses?
	Alternatively, we used to have a member of this list who I
understand now lives near you in Minnesota.  He could give us the chemical
parameters of the fabrics.  Since he now lives near you, we elect you to go
over to his apartment and discuss the issue and report back...

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  "It is still not uncommon to find high quality older sails that
can economically be given a new lease on life..."  Sven Donaldson, A
Sailor's Guide to Sails