[Rhodes22-list] Sail Life

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 7 10:00:44 EST 2005

The two things that do in a sail (aside) from abuse is UV exposure and
degradation of the sizing.

The fastest way to destroy a sail is to allow it to flog unsheeted.  Under
these conditions sail-life can somertimes be measured in hours!!

My first boat was a Hobie-16 and we used to roll the sails to avoid a
crease.  A crease would disrupt the continuous stabilizing membrane the
sizing provides.  Once this happens the sail becomes more likely to distort
when heavy sheeting loads are imposed.

Exposure to the sun will also break down the sizing AND degrade the
polyester fabric itself.  It doesn't take long for this to happen.  That's
why a sailcover of some sort is an absolute necessity.

I had a 10 year old Albin-28.  The boat came with the original main.  The
sail had always been covered and was totally usable.  The furling genny was
much newer but because the 2nd owner did not install a sacrificial leech
panel was badly deteriorated and had the be cut down.

I believe their is/was a company who renews sails by restoring the sizing.
Cant remember their name.

Richard Smith