[Rhodes22-list] New Member

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 20:49:24 EDT 2005

Lee,
I have a "Guest" charge pro battery charger that charges two deep cycle
battery's, both under the V berth, side by side. I had the solar panels, but  hail
took them out and I wasn't really satisfied with their charging ability. I
mounted the charger on the peg board which is alongside the v berth, out of the
 way and it has plenty of ventilation.
Leave the front opening ports alone. They are fine and not a leakage  problem
and you will want all the ventilation forward that you can get.
I have the mast head antenna for the VHF and have a Windex mounted on it.
Simple and it doesn't screw up. The VHF radio is mandatory. Get one with weather
 alerts. I also have a AM/FM CD stereo. I believe it should standard
equipment.  Photo attached on how to mount it.
You will also notice that I have a percent of charge meter. I have the
running and cabin lights on one battery and the stereo and VHF on the other. I
separated the must haves, no matter what, from the luxury items. Both batteries
charge at the same time. Nothing fancy. I simply run a heavy duty extension
cord  under the pop top when I dock and plug it in. I've found that shore power
plugs  are problematic and you need the really heavy duty cord to plug it in.
To much  cost and weight for my thinking.
Buy the boat from Stan. As Slim mentioned, R22's are scarce as hens teeth.
You will not only get peace of mind, but if something breaks, you can always
blame Stan and your wife won't be mad at you.
One thing you didn't ask about was a trailer. Any thoughts along that line?
If you buy used from Stan, he doesn't guarantee them and actually hates
trailers  because of the electrical problems and problems with bearings and tires.
He's a  boat builder, not a trailer guy. You might want to think new unless the
trailer  is in really good shape.
Now, my personal choice on motors is to go with new and get a 8hp Tohatsu.
Plenty of power, light weight (50 pounds) and totally trouble free. We have
three of them on R22's on Lake Hartwell and we all swear by them and not at
them.

Rummy