[Rhodes22-list] Blame the Now: not Sailing

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 9 18:38:22 EDT 2005

One of the things that makes this kind of discussion difficult
on an e-mail list, even one full of knowledgeable people, is
the frustration with not having enough time or writing skills
to adequately address the issues and questions.  I usually don't
have time to say much, and I write slowly, so some of us at a disadvantage
at the start.  It is frustrating to have to ignore arguments I think
are wrong or facts that I think are incorrect, but if I did that
(as Bill and Ed seem to do without fail) I would never have time
to sail - which is the point of this list.

   I was intially not in favor of too much political discussion on
the list, partially for the above reason, partially because I get
mad enough just reading the news (I no longer watch TV news).
However it has been useful as an unbiased sample of people, many
of whom have opinions very different then the ones I usually hear.
(I am a liberal, as are most of my coworkers). I do get annoyed by
people who post opinion pieces - like the one Hank posted by
Ben Stein.  Most of his statements were just Ben's baised opinions -
I was especially annoyed by his reference to global warming, an example of
the reluctance to recognize science which is really quite strong, based
on a political and economic agenda
is an example of the politics uber-alles bent of this administration.
But why should I argue with Ben - it would take a lof of work from
me and it was no work for Hank to post the list.  I could post the
latest editorial by Maureen Dawd - but that is Vietnam style escalation -
and who knows where that may end.

Ron