[Rhodes22-list] Sailing, Not Politics

Todd Zumach zoomerzx at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:41:23 EDT 2005

OK Boys,

Let's talk sailing...

Today was an awesome day up here in the great white north. I got out on my
R22 twice today. In the morning, the Admiral (wife Julie) and I went out for
a couple of hours in winds around 10-15 and a bit gusty. I really
appreciated reading some the posts about furling in high winds in the last
few days. This is the first time I got the sails right for the heavier wind
conditions! I never slid the Admiral off her seat and under the cockpit
bench at all (her bruises are almost gone from the last time out). It took
me about 10 minutes to get used to the wind and then she (the Admiral)
settled down. She stretched out and relaxed while I got to have some fun!
All good things had to come to an end, and the increasing winds drove us off
the lake, I got some projects down around the house (aren't glogged drains
fun?). Then, after dinner, she went into school for a couple of hours and I
told her I was going sailing by myself. This was to be my first time solo!
She pleaded for me to go home and wash the dishes. After weighing all the
important factors I went sailing (of course). By 6:30 pm the winds had
settled down a bit and I had the "2nd best sailing experience yet" (the
first being a spectacular day up in the Apostle Islands two years ago with
my wife and a friend on his Ericson 35).

I finally feel like I am getting the hang of single handed sailing. Each
tack gets a little better and I am learning more about sail trim. I could
really use a few more sails with my friend Ray, he has a conservative
approach that I can relate too. By the way, I got home in time to wash the
dishes before Julie got home from school.

Keep Sailing,

Cap'n Z
Todd Zumach
Phillips, WI