[Rhodes22-list] PDF FAQ

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Sep 25 11:43:21 EDT 2005

Thanks, Michael, That's Great!

Wish we could have done that when we were first figuring out how to
maintain the FAQ list.

Ed--How do we set this up?

You've been keeping track of what information is available and what has
to be posted new.  You also have a pretty good idea of what pictures are
where.

PDFs like the one Chris has posted would go a long way to answering the
repeated questions from newbies.  We could build them up over time when
we're not too busy with politics, jokes, drinking, and, heaven forfend,
sailing.

Lots of people could take on a single topic each as a project.  The more
technically literate can transform the words and pictures into PDFs.  We
can lift a lot from prior work.

Chris got the ball rolling, there's a question on goosenecks out there
that we all know we've recently answered and taken pictures of, let's
answer each new question in pdf form, pulling stuff together and
building as we go.  We should build a master index that is posted
somewhere where everyone can see it all the time.  Maybe someone should
automatically post the index every time there is a repeated question.

Ed, you have essentially been doing that for a while.  Let's set up
someone to do it for every newbie.  It doesn't have to be you.  Maybe
every newbie is required to post the list for the next newbie.  That
would get everyone into the circle, repeatedly post the location of
frequently asked question answers, and not put too much responsibility
on any one person.

A lot of people have already done a lot of work on certain topics.  Slim
pulled together the Mast Raising/lowering list.  Mary Lou wrote "Why I
Love My Boat".  Todd has posted bare bones boat building pointers.  Lou
is a centerboard expert.  Rummy has compiled the complete list of "My
Favorite Rum".  ... everyone who benefits from list membership has the
ability to add something.

Stan could print out our PDFs as his advertising, and correct errors for
us as we go.  That's a fair use of intellectual property, as far as I'm
concerned.

Bill Effros