[Rhodes22-list] new tiller

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 9 21:14:22 EDT 2006

GlacierHello Rhodies~

Taxes are done, so it's been a wonderful weekend working on boats.  I have
decided to transfer Raven's tiller to Phoenix and build a new tiller for
Raven, and need a little help from the collective brain base.

There is a recycled red R22 at Crosswinds Marina, Lake Jordan, NC that has a
very nice and simple tiller extension.  I'm pretty sure the owner is not on
list and I've never seen him at the boat, although I'm really not there
much.  It's quite elegant in an engineering sort of way, so I think maybe
it's a Stan invention, or maybe Stan just picked the parts.  The tiller
extension fits into a fitting mounted on the stern rail.  When the tiller
extension is in this stern rail fitting, the rudder is amidships on the
centerline and the boat would just track forward.  Elegant!  I think this
arrangement is far better than any tiller tamers I've seen.

Do you have anything like this on your boat?  If so, who makes the parts?
I've been pouring through internet chandleries and can find anything like
that stern rail fitting.  If you know something, please speak up!  Stan, if
this is your invention please let me know because I must have one.

Thanks to all in advance.

Fair winds,

PT