[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Cover

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Aug 15 11:42:53 EDT 2006

At 09:10 PM 8/14/2006 -0400, DCLewis1 at aol.com wrote:
>Ed and Elle are likely right regarding the "sewability" of Sunbrella,  I
>don't know.  Elle's insight re the thread was interesting.   Neither
>Fran nor I
>have tried sewing Sunbrella, I'm just reporting what I  picked up on the web
>(actually, I can't point you to an explicit address, it's  been a
>while).  As I
>recall (I don't have the material in front of  me), the material we
>got did not
>appear to be unusually stiff, so it might sew  easily.

My wife has some experience at sewing.  She advises that problems
with sewing heavy fabric like Sunbrella are usually not with a single
thickness of fabric.  Rather it's when you double/triple it, like for
hems and finished edges, that's when the going gets tough.  But if
you go slow and use the right thread, it can be done.  Most problems
are from trying to force the machine to go faster in heavy work or
using thread that's too light or brittle.

Cheers!

John

"If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from
Holland called Holes?"