[Rhodes22-list] RE: Bilge Water

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Sat Dec 2 07:47:05 EST 2006

David,

You cannot determine a leak by seeing where water is coming from inside the
boat.  A mistake many make - forget it.   The few exceptions are: any water
oozing out around the cb trunk/cap neoprene gasket or around any thru hull
fittings.

Leaks through the fiberglass hull are extremely rare.
The only ones I have ever seen are where someone had inadvertently drilled a
hull through the glass.

In older boats (ones where we had the hulls built by contractors) we have
found some faults in the sealing of the centerboard trunk (a separate molded
entity) into the bottom of the keel (which is part of the fiberglass hull
lay-up).   The positive way to determine if this is the source of a leak is
to put water into the boat and see if any water leaves the boat at this
joint seam around the bottom of the cb slot in the keel. If this is the
cause of a leak, where water actually leaves the hull (not where it runs
along the hull and finally drops off) is the fault area.  If this is the
problem location, a dentist can fix it.  Drill out the problem area and fill
it with an epoxy such as Marine Tex or others.   A water test by putting
water back inside the boat will show whether the epoxy filling has stopped
that particular leak area.

As far as we know, none of the boats that have had their cb trunks installed
at our plant have ever leaked, not that we are suggesting you buy a new one
of course....

You can call me if you want to go over this.

stan/gbi.