[Rhodes22-list] The Joy of Centerboard (Sex)

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 2 22:48:19 EST 2006

Sheila (the wife) and I went out last Sunday for the first time since
returning from Edenton with a new trailer and a sveldt centerboard.
Beautiful day in Sunbury, GA on Nov 26... it was about 70 degrees and sunny
and the wind was out of the N to NE at 10-13 knots.  It was perfect.  We
reached and then closehauled up through Dutchman Bay against the current and
were able to make great headway with our centerboard all the way down!  It's
amazing how critical a CB is in a strong current going to windward.  We
tacked around and reached back to the Medway River and then turned east and
began tacking into the wind.  Had the pop-top up and the full main and 175
out in 10-13 knots and it was exciting.  Sheila was generally calm and
interested and got into the tacking by handling the genoa sheets while I
gave the orders.  She only screamed at me once (that I can remember) about
the healing angle and I mentioned that if she weighed more it wouldn"t be an
issue...

We tacked out about 4 miles and were close to St. Catherines Sound and
decided to turn around since it was getting late.

Great outing and I hardly used the autopilot because we were tacking - also
didn't have time to mix a drink.  Still, it was great to have a centerboard.
  Thanks Rummy & Stan!!
Bob K