[Rhodes22-list] Mac 26x or 26M vs. Rhodes 22 - North Country Questions

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Dec 19 06:06:51 EST 2006

Ruben:

Some of your lists of wants are incompatible and conflicting.  The Mac 26
(of any letter model) is not a true sailboat.  The Mac has its place and its
market, but it is not meant for the ocean or is it a true sail boat.  Take
time and study the details before getting one.

While I live in South Carolina, I often visit a state and body of water that
adjoins your country.  That is I often visit Vermont and Lake Champlain, the
6th great lake.  Several years ago I was there when a family turtled a Mac
26 drowning two kids.  Water ballast is not the safest way to build a
sailboat, notwithstanding all the big manufactures making water ballast
sailboats.

And to be fair, the Rhodes 22 is not a blue water sailboat either,
notwithstanding Bill W’s stories about his Bahamas trip and all those
Rhodies on the Great Lakes.  However, it is a very safe and easy to use sail
boat that deserves your full consideration.  It can be launched and
retrieved by one person.  There used to be a Rhodes 22 based Nova Scotia, so
it can handle your waters.

A true blue water sailboat that can be beached is problematic. Yes blue
water sailboats that can be put on a trailer can be had, but usually they
require a crane or boat lift with a very heavy duty trailer that requires a
big truck to tow with.  How big is your truck?

One aspect of this discussion is that you have not told us your experience
and expertise with sailboats.  Nor have you told us why the trailerability
requirement.

Feel free to respond to all comments in reply to your questions.  And
welcome.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  Learning is not compulsory… neither is survival.”
W. Edwards Demming