[Rhodes22-list] GPS, Wally, Mary Lou, big spenders

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Feb 12 06:41:54 EST 2006

     The GPS is great, but how much GPS is necessary?  Is external antenna
     necessary on a Rhodes 22?  A good hand held is all that is necessary.
     The big bucks some want to spend for color wide screen chartplotter is
utter waste.

     Wally do you have a mount with external antenna for your kayak?
     For night sailing on Lake Hartwell we do not have one lighthouse,
especially
     not Michael's ten lighthouses.  Shipping channels?  Yea we have a main
     channel but as Rummy will tell you about an affair with the Carver,
they
     are the ones on autopilot, not the small boats.

     These newbies maybe should learn their boat before they sail in fog, at
night
      or navigate at night or potentially foul weather far from home port.
By that time
      the gear will be outdated.

      As for that Maine sailor who navigates around icebergs to his island
retreat, his fellow
      Eskimos did it in kayaks without GPS.   Maybe he should consider
Eskimo day camp?

      Those worried about getting struck need one of those radar units with
hazard
      approching warning attached to good klaxon.  You know like on a
submarine, dive, dive!
      Listen here:
http://www.classic-car-accessories.co.uk/acatalog/soundtklaxonred.html
      (Those units are available, but might have a large battery draw, where
is that spread sheet.)

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA