anchoring thoughts and motoring to take up the strain RE: [Rhodes22-list] anchoring obsession

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Sat Jan 14 11:27:30 EST 2006

Michael and all,
We've never actually used the motor to take up the strain in a storm
anchoring situation but have had the motor fired up and ready to shift into
gear. Windage in our boats is substantial, especially at night in cruising
configuration (pop-top cover & bimini up). A couple of years ago we were
anchored in Swan Creek (with our old set up, a 9 lb Danforth and 16 feet of
chain, 7:1 scope) when a thundersquall approached. The WX radio was calling
for "possible" gusts in excess of 40 knots. Swan Creek is iffy holding
ground - it's good mud but there's a lot of junk on the bottom. We seemedl
dug in but there was a three boat raft-up not too far away and many other
boats behind us.  As the wind picked up we decided to start the motor just
in case we needed maneuverability if the raft-up started dragging or to
take some of the strain off of our rode if we started dragging. As it
turned out I don't think the winds got over 35 knots and we and the raftup
held so we just put about 40 minutes of running time in the motor until the
storm blew out. It was pretty wild for the duration. We were swinging at
anchor quite a bit though not as far as we do on quieter evenings and the
raftup really moved around as the wind shifted as the storm passed through.
One of the things we think about when anchoring is: will there be enough
room if boats swing differently? We got a good demonstration that night of
boats swinging differently in the same wind conditions. A couple of boats
behind us dragged and reanchored successfully - at least they were in
different places the next morning so I assume that's what happened. When we
pulled anchor in the morning we had a lot of mud on one fluke and not much
on the other. We might have only ever had one fluke dug in or we might have
been rocking back and forth as we swung, I don't know but I suspect that it
just dug in on the angle and the strain from the wind just dug that side in
further. The chain, except for the last foot or so was cleaner than usual
so I'm sure it was off the bottom for at least part of the time. The last
foot or so was very muddy and may have helped the Danforth stay put.

At Annapolis boatshow lastOctober we found a very good deal on a Fortress
FX-11 and started experimenting with a new configuration. The 9 lb Danforth
had served us well, especially after we added another 10 feet of chain but
the weight of the chain made it harder to move the bag of anchor and chain
around on deck and harder to retrieve. Fortress recommends 6 ft for 25 ft.
of water or less so that's what we are trying figuring we might as well
start with the lightest and see how it does. The whole set up has more
theoretical holding power and is much lighter than the Danforth. We only
had one chance to try it in the fall. I was able to get a good set on the
second try. One of the reasons I have been reluctant to more away from the
slightly undersized Danforth (it had been the "storm" anchor on our Com-Pac
16) was that I really knew how to set it and knew when it was well set. Now
I'm starting over with the Fortress. We're keeping the Danforth as an
easily reachable second anchor because I know how to set it.

BTW, according to a table in the Fortress literature we can only put a load
of 160 lbs on our anchor setting it with an 8 hp motor. That was determined
by pulling against a bollard so I suspect it's even less with our Honda
outboard in reverse.

In any event anchoring is as much art as it is science. In a blow, you want
to have the science as the basis for what you are doing but if you couldn't
get your anchor to set properly or the holding ground is poor the science
may not be as much of a factor. Every weekend we watch people (hopefully
with anchors new to them or in charter boats) plowing up the anchorages,
backing all over the place. We've watched people try over and over again to
set an anchor and finally motor off to some other place or maybe a marina
without ever having set the anchor. Or other folks motor to a stop, drop
anchor and never put a tug on the rode to see if it's set. We watch those
boats very carefully if they are anywhere near us. Often conditions are so
benign it doesn't matter but we watch them anyway.

Our anchoring experiences have been good but limited to Chesapeake mud.
We've spent a lot of nights on the hook and learned a lot from watching
others and from anchoring ourselves. It does take practice. It's the only
way you learn. The only time I'm sure we dragged was where we were the
anchor boat in a 5 R22 raftup in Swan Creek. In retrospect we should have
had the Kaynor's Raven as the anchor boat - their anchor was bigger but it
was a calm afternoon when we anchored - the wind picked up at the tail end
of happy hour so no harm done. The only time we've been dragged down on was
very scary when a large power boat dragged into our Com-Pac 16 when we were
on a mooring. He got his motor started and got off of us before any damage
was done. In retrospect I probably should have been on the bow ready to cut
the line so we could get out of his way if necessary.

I've read all of Bill's arguments before and I must say that his
observations on LIS (?, i think?) are very different from ours on the
Chesapeake but I've thought about them as I've analyzed various anchoring
situations and maybe they shed some new light on a situation or two. Some
of that thinking may have influenced our decision to try a lighter weight
set-up. If we ever take the boat somewhere where we will be anchoring in
sand (though there are sandy bottoms on the Chesapeake) and rock we'll
re-think our anchors and chain again.

My nickels worth. BTW, the attached picture is of the 5 R22s in Swan Creek
BEFORE the raft broke up.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD