head space Re: [Rhodes22-list] Captain Jeff Herbert

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 09:17:34 EST 2006

Jeff,
Someone asked a similar question a while back. The question I was answering
was requesting more a comparison of installed marine heads vs. porta poties
but this is what I replied then:
"To quote from "Sailing Small", "we decided that the cabin seemed roomier
in the boats with a semi-enclosed head. We chose a portable toilet because
it was simpler than a marine head. While pumpouts are widely available on
the Chesapeake, there is always the chance we might want to trailer to
places where pumpouts are unavailable. The portable toilet is easy enough
to bring home to clean and we don't have to bother with fixing head
problems at the marina."

The more time we spend a marina with big boats, the happier I am with the
portable toilet. People see to be always fixing head problems. We don't
have any. Most of the time we just bring the head home to empty it. It
takes only a minute or two to empty it and give it a good rinse. If we are
out cruising, we generally stop every second or third day to stay at a
marina, get a shower and empty the head. If we plan to be out longer, we do
have an extra bottom with the holding tank for our portable toilet. It
doubles the length of time we can be out."

If you are concerned about the space - it is really a matter of personal
preference and that may be governed by how you expect to use the boat. If
you are just going to be using the head on daysails, it may not matter much
either way. We live aboard the boat most weekends from April through
October and we wanted every inch of space in the cabin. We use the v-berth
for storage and sleep in the cabin and found a way to make the
semi-enclosed head fairly accessible. I'm not sure how the enclosed head
works with the cabin berth set up You should take a look at both layouts.
Fretless (with the semi-enclosed head) is in our backyard here in Fort
Washington PA and you are welcome to come take a look.

BTW, the book I was referring to is "Sailing Small: Inspiration and
Instruction for the Pocket Cruiser" edited by Stan Grayson, Devereux Books.
I wrote Ch 5.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Ft. Washington, PA / Swan Creek, MD