[Rhodes22-list] E10 Gas in 2 Stroke Outboards

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 13:49:04 EDT 2006

Rick,

Here is another article on ethanol fuels and small engines.  If ethanol is
blended into the fuel it will be labeled on the pump.

Brad

---------------------
 Non-oxygenated fuels usually best for small engines *Q* I have a question
about fuels. I understand the difference between premium gas with ethanol
and premium gas without ethanol. I have been told that this is also called
"racing fuel." Since non-ethanol premium fuel has become more readily
available in recent years, I have used it in my small engines -- snow
blowers, trimmers, lawn mowers, leaf blowers.

*Paul Brand*
*Q* I have a question about fuels. I understand the difference between
premium gas with ethanol and premium gas without ethanol. I have been told
that this is also called "racing fuel." Since non-ethanol premium fuel has
become more readily available in recent years, I have used it in my small
engines -- snow blowers, trimmers, lawn mowers, leaf blowers.

I recently heard that the premium non-ethanol gas can damage or shorten the
life of small engines because of the high octane and higher burn
temperatures. Is this true? I thought it would be a better fuel as it
eliminates the alcohol. I know my truck runs better on it, as does my
motorcycle. What is the best fuel for smaller engines?

*A* It's a trade-off. The primary benefit of premium non-oxygenated fuel in
any engine not operated on a regular basis is the reduced potential for
moisture contamination in the fuel and the resultant phase separation and
corrosion issues. The disadvantage is the higher octane rating, which is not
necessary in most small engines. Higher-octane fuels are "built" with longer
hydrocarbon molecules that burn more slowly. In low-compression engines --
typical of most small engines -- the slower burn rate can lead to more
carbon deposits from unburned fuel.

But as I said, it's a trade-off. I'm willing to de-carbonize my small
engines periodically as the trade-off to reduce the potential for moisture
and/or phase separation with oxygenated fuels that sit in the tank for any
significant length of time.

Adding SeaFoam to the fuel can help prevent these problems, but in my
opinion non-oxygenated fuels are a better choice for any engine operated on
a seasonal or intermittent basis.