[Rhodes22-list] Advice on boat purchase

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 11 11:52:55 EDT 2006

Kathy,
This is just a quick response from one of dozens of NJ R22 owners,
both male and female locally. I don't normally take away from my
sailing time for less significant things, including work. I generally
sail the lower Barnegat Bay off Long Beach Island, bay and ocean, and
have owned a Rhodes 22 since 1989, now s/v Wanderlust is my second.
We are both blessed and cursed with high winds (12-20 kts.) all
summer and thin water (avg. mlw. 2-4'). For a start, the Rhodes vs.
all other production boats, except the venerable Catboat, which has
other trade-offs, is ideally suited to this area with the keel/
centerboard design, 20" draw, and reefing main and gennie. All this
allows the R22 to be balanced under the widest range of conditions of
anything I've come across. This is why when I lost my first Rhodes in
a storm in 1995 (long story), I replaced it with another. Also, we
get many spontaneous squalls and thermal wind shifts and the ability
to reef on the fly, and lower the whole sail plan on the main are all
features that don't leave you victim to Mother Nature, whether single-
handing or with crew.

All the other features make it even more unique to what is available,
but sailing it sells it. I sail almost everyday, and gladly offer you
to sail anytime, with the possible weekend exceptions for Jersey
shore traffic. We however have very little boat traffic once you get
here (powerboats avoid these shallow waters).

Reach me be cell 201/803-5665 (area code is from business, as I live
here full-time) or off-line.
Jay Friedland