[Rhodes22-list] We're all Jews Now?

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 25 01:23:39 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/24/2006 9:46:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
robert at squirrelhaven.com writes:

rhetoric  that is only recently
being vocally disavowed by the majority if Islamic  faithful around
the world.

Robert,

I've been trying to stay out of these political exchanges, trying to limit
my board time, but I can't let your statement above pass.  I frankly don't  see
the majority of Islamic faithful around the world disavowing anything very
much, what I see passes for smug smiles when it comes to the travails of
seculars/Christians/Jews/Hindus brought by muslim terrorists.  I'd  appreciate
anyone challenging that perception; it's not a happy one.

Those smug smiles extend to the US muslim community.  I don't recall a  large
and loud public condemnation of al Quaida and it's tactics in the US  by the
US muslim community, maybe I missed it.  I did hear a lot of  protestations of
innocence and expressions regarding the need for tolerance (a  remarkably
non-muslim characteristic) and due process - but that's  different.  Nor do I
recall any muslim nation doing anything constructive  regarding terrorism except
as the US paid them (e.g. Pakistan) or except as  the terrorists explicitly
attacked the ruling government, in which case it  was the government responding
to protect itself not a response from  the muslim majority of that country.
I'm inclined to the  we(everybody but muslims)/they(muslim majority) point of
view.

If I'm right, it says a lot about the wisdom of investing US military
resources to protect muslims from Serbs in Bosnia - freeing up muslim  fighters to
attack us in Afghanistan and Iraq.  It says instituting  democracy is a crock,
because it just provides a venue for "the people" to  elect terrorists and
radical clerics to their government - which is what has  happened in Lebanon and
Iraq.  It says that the problem is not bin Laden,  rather the problem is bin
Laden and most of Pakistan, all of Yemen, minimum  half of Saudi Arabia, most
of Iraq, all of Iran, all of Syria, etc.  It  says that a secular strong-man
running Egypt is a lot better for US interests  than a democracy/theocracy
staffed with radical clerics.   I don't see  a lot of evidence that the majority of
muslims world wide are on our side on the  terrorist issue - US punditry
notwithstanding.

As for Iran's nuclear program, if it is truly a threat - as opposed to yet
another US intelligence fiasco - I'm sure Israel will deal with it.  IMO  they
are very capable. They are also explicitly threatened by the  Iranian program
so their dealing with the issue would be appropriate.

JMO

Dave