[Rhodes22-list] We're all Jews Now?

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 01:17:46 EDT 2006

Dave,

Here's some more bedtime reading.  Good night.

Brad

----------------------

July 25, 2006 A Proportionate Response is Madness*By* *Richard
Cohen*<http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/author/richard_cohen/>

If by chance you have the search engine LexisNexis and you punch in the
words "Israel'' and "disproportionate,'' you run the risk of blowing up your
computer or darkening your entire neighborhood. Just limiting the search to
newspapers and magazines of the last week will turn up "more than 1,000
documents.'' Israel may be the land of milk and honey but it certainly seems
to be the land of disproportionate military response -- and a good thing,
too.

The list of those who have accused Israel of not being in harmony with its
enemies is long and, alas, distinguished. It includes, of course, the United
Nations and its secretary general, Kofi Annan. It also includes a whole
bunch of European newspapers whose editorial pages call for Israel to
respond, it seems, with only one missile for every one tossed its way. Such
neat proportion is a recipe for doom.

The dire consequences of proportionality are so clear that it makes you
wonder if it is a fig leaf for anti-Israel sentiment in general. Anyone who
knows anything about the Middle East knows that proportionality is madness.
For Israel, a small country within reach, as we are finding out, of a
missile launched from any enemy's back yard, proportionality is not only
inapplicable, it is suicide. The last thing it needs is a war of attrition.
It is not good enough to take out this or that missile battery. It is
necessary to re-establish deterrence: You slap me, I will punch out your
lights.

Israel has been in dire need of such deterrence ever since it pulled out of
Lebanon in 2000 and, just recently, the Gaza Strip. In Lebanon, it
effectively got into a proportional hit-and-respond cycle with Hezbollah. It
cost Israel 901 dead and Hezbollah an announced 1,375, too close to parity
to make a lasting difference. Whatever the figures, it does not change the
fact that Israeli conscripts or reservists do not think death and martyrdom
are the same thing. No virgins await Jews in heaven.

Gaza, too, was a retreat. There are many ways to mask it, but no way to
change the reality. The government of then-Prime Minister Ariel Sharon
concluded that Israel was incapable of controlling a densely populated area
full of people who hated the occupation. Israel will in due course reach the
same conclusion when it comes to the West Bank, although the present war has
almost certainly set back that timetable. The fact remains that for Israel
to survive, it must withdraw to boundaries that are easily defensible and
hard to breach.

It's clear now that those boundaries -- a wall, a fence, a whatever -- are
immaterial when it comes to missiles. Hezbollah, with the aid of Iran and
Syria, has shown that it is no longer necessary to send a dazed suicide
bomber over the border -- all that is needed is the requisite amount of
thrust and a warhead. That being the case, it's either stupid or mean for
anyone to call for proportionality. The only way to ensure that babies don't
die in their cribs and old people in the streets is to make the Lebanese or
the Palestinians understand that if they, no matter how reluctantly, host
those rockets, they will pay a very, very steep price.

Readers of my recent column on the Middle East can accuse me of many things,
but not a lack of realism. I know Israel's imperfections, but I also exult
and admire its achievements. Lacking religious conviction, I fear for its
future and note the ominous spread of European-style anti-Semitism
throughout the Muslim world -- and its boomerang return to Europe as a
mindless form of anti-Zionism. Israel is, as I have often said,
unfortunately located, gentrifying a pretty bad neighborhood. But the world
is full of dislocated peoples and we ourselves live in a country where the
Indians were pushed out of the way so that -- oh, what irony! -- the owners
of slaves could spread liberty and democracy from sea to shining sea. As for
Europe, who today cries for the Greeks of Anatolia or the Germans of
Bohemia?

These calls for proportionality rankle. They fall on my ears not as genteel
expressions of fairness, some ditsy Marquess of Queensberry idea of war, but
as ugly sentiments pregnant with antipathy toward the only state in the
Middle East that is a democracy. After the Holocaust, after 1,000 years of
mayhem and murder, the only proportionality that counts is zero for zero. If
Israel's enemies want that, they can have it in a moment.
cohenr at washpost.com < cohenr at washpost.com>

(c) 2006, Washington Post Writers Group