[Rhodes22-list] Hurricanes and Hurricane Boats

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 06:05:38 EDT 2006

Herb is probably right on the O'day boat on e-bay.  My
buddy and I looked at a lot of hurricane boats last
year, even bid 25K on a 35' Island Packet that went
for 33K.  One thing we were told over and over by
experienced hurricane boat rebuilders is that the
final value of the boat will be about 2/3 of its
pre-hurricane price.  Most lenders won't touch them,
insurance companies either.  There are some good
values out there (hundreds if not thousands of boats
available in Gulfport alone) but you have to do a good
first person evaluation.  If the wind was strong
enough to bend or snap the mast, it probably dropped
it off its cradle if on land, and usually holes the
hull (think sinking) if docked.  My guess is that this
one fell off the cradle and sustained internal damage.

For further reading on Katrina here's a link to this
months Popular Mechanics with more links to previous
coverage.  Hint to NOLA:  BUILD ON HIGH GROUND!

Brad

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog/science/2909991.html