[Rhodes22-list] Problem shrouds = location of answer for David

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 26 13:18:18 EDT 2006

Bill My comment are in-line -

>What sailing issues do we disagree on?

The only one that comes to mind is the 170 vs 155 debate. I sided with
Roger. You posted you could sail with full 170 and main in high winds
without excessive healing. I can't remember the details not a big deal. What
sailing advice of Roger's did you disagree with?

>The Loos gauge has a lot of numbers on it.  Does the "150" or "200" refer
>to pounds?  I just don't know.

Nor do I. Others are posting pounds ....

>I put 150 to 200 pounds of weight on my towing hitch.  I can't lift it.
>Yet I can deflect my stays with 2 fingers.

This sounds like apples and oranges. Also if you can't lift your trailer
tongue the weight is most likely higher than you think.

>How many pounds of pressure are on guitar strings?

I don't play guitar, maybe Slim can help here? :-)

>There is no safety issue regarding too slack stays.  If they are all hand
>tight at rest, they won't be over tight in use.

Wrong, there is a problem with shrouds to loose. There is not a problem with
handtight. Shock loads would be increased plus a sloppy rig doesn't perform
as well.

>It is impossible to know everything about the boat when you first get it.
>Highly technical procedures for simple tasks are easily misinterpreted.
>KISS.

I think tightening hand tight is about as simple as I can keep things. The
only thing I wondered was if anyone had quanitfied. As i suspected a couple
of people have. I also wondered if 200 would cause compression problems.

Wally