[Rhodes22-list] Art - bottom paints revisited

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Mar 10 12:40:52 EST 2006

Art,

The short answer is "local knowledge".  The problem is that no local has
tried enough different products to truly be able to tell you which one
works better than the others.  They can only tell you which doesn't work
at all.  Practical Sailor is even worse.  They recommend one paint one
year, and another the next.

Up here in salt water, we have been very successful using Petit (no time
to check the spelling) ablative slime resistance (SR) products.  I slap
on (and I do mean slap on) a new coat every year.  Some of it ablates
off, but there's still plenty left in most places.  The boat comes out
totally clean in waters notorious for quick and aggressive growth both
hard and soft.  I recommend the Black bottom paint because the pigment
must hide the greenish algaecide that is exposed as the paint sloughs off.

You can take the boat out of the water as often as you like, and leave
it out for as long as you like.  In theory, the rain may cause some of
the paint to ablate, but in practice, I've never seen that happen.

The paint is very expensive.  But it works.

Bill Effros