[Rhodes22-list] Electric Dinghy Motor

Richard Smith sailnut at att.net
Thu Mar 16 11:03:43 EST 2006

Although I never ran an energy budget on a dinghy powered by a trolling
electric I abandoned the idea for practical reasons, namely because of the
mass of the battery.  If you are anchored out you are going to have major
issues transferring a heavy lead acid battery from the Rhodes to the dink
and back.

Granted an electric is very appealing from an environmental standpoint but I
would buy the smallest lightest outboard I could find and mount it on an 8
foot inflatable with a slat floor.   A little Honda is quiet economical and
easily moved about.

Richard Smith