[Rhodes22-list] Chesapeake Sailing

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 14:44:03 EST 2006

Elle,

Nope, haven't visited White Stone, but we may have seen enough of that part
of Va, at least for a while.

I think you're right about the demographics.  There has to be a fair  amount
of $ in the area to support those land and house prices, better  value in NC,
SC, even Fla.  I attributed that to retirees flowing in from  Norfolk, or
wherever.

I imagine the retirees are buying up all the waterfront properties.   When we
got out of the towns we saw what appeared to me to be working farms,  etc.
So you've got bifurcated demographics, high end retirees  and  mid to lower
(i.e. normal for that area) rural farming and  agribusiness people.

Re New Bern, it's a lovely town.  We've been back 3 times  now.  Washington
NC is nice to, if you haven't seen it.  It's smaller  than New Bern and it
doesn't have the colonial down town that New Bern  does.  Washington's downtown
area has a river walk and the  architecture is probably turn of the (last)
century.  There appear's  to be a lot of sailing in each town. They're both nice
places.

Dave