[Rhodes22-list] WTF? ... Teach history anymore?

Saroj Gilbert saroj at pathfind.net
Sat May 13 10:28:10 EDT 2006

I doubt H.S. history courses spend any time at all on the "tough" aspects of
the McCarthy era... just like I suspect they don't (or barely) mention how
the gov stole the assets of nearly all the Japanese Americans on the west
coast and shipped them off to "camps" (in the name of national security)...
just like I suspect they don't (or barely) mention how the gov pillaged the
Native Americans (continuing into recent times... remember Leonard
Pelletier?  he's still in prison) in the name of  "we're not safe if they're
around" and sent them off to special "camps"... I imagine the story of how
our gov treated blacks is a little more honest due to the relatively
stronger representation of blacks in mainstream society.

...well I can't be sure what the history books say cause frankly I haven't
read a H.S. history book in quite a few years, but out of my belief that
public education is a social instrument for mind-bending and conditioning
those of our young to toe the line, I would be shocked to see anything like
the "real" story being told...  but gawd, I'd hate to be a history teacher
answering questions from bright, inquisitive, open minds on the social
impact of our gov policies and practices present or past.

I guess its time us old folk make the youngin's sit down and listen to our
stories... I was in high school and college during the McCarthy era.. I
remember viscerally the fear and anger I felt about what was going on... I
remember Pete Seeger coming to UCR to play his protest songs which he kindly
allowed me to tape on my new reel-to-reel Wallensak tape recorder... I
remember the horror of the John Birch Society activities... I remember the
nausea I felt when I heard of protesters being shot by our gov (Berkeley,
Kent State? Los Angeles... tmtc incidents in the South).  I remember the
disgust and upset I felt when the body count came out from Vietnam every day
(to stop the "domino effect" of communism in Asia -- fear of Communists? why
China is our biggest trading partner... Italy just elected a Communist
leader... what's to fear there?) hmmm... now how do the history teachers
explain THAT?!... or do we still teach history by memorizing dates and
places and ignore the social issues?

I even remember the drills in grammar school of the nuclear attack alarms
going of and diving under the desk (remind you of duct tape and plastic?
another useless, "feel-good" gov-sponsored recommendation to "quell the
anxiety of the masses"... did anyone else notice the wry smile on the face
of Tom Ridge as he appeared on TV suggesting this to us and then appearing a
couple of months later to say "just kidding"?).  In case anyone's
interested, here is the link to current gov recommendations of what to do in
case of a biological attack:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/02/20030207-10.html
plastic and duct tape are still on the list.. be sure you have yours precut
to cover your windows... didn't see anything on how to manage the increase
of CO2 to unacceptable levels cause your house is supposedly totally
sealed...

I guess along with being happy I'm not a history teacher trying to "explain"
crazy stuff that happened years ago, I'm happy I'm not a gov spokesperson
trying to "explain" current crazy stuff...

What really sickens me is that fear-mongering is inevitably used to promote
personal and political ambition having little or nothing to do with keeping
U.S. citizens "safe" from terrorists...  "power corrupts and absolue power
corrupts absolutely"... anyone notice that there is one or two new incidents
of corruption every week out of our gov these days? I can't remember any
time where this was true to such a degree... but then I'm "only" 64....

I'm not naive or idealistic enough to think that there is nothing to fear,
but there have been nasty people doing nasty things throughout the history
of mankind.. remember all the hijackings of the 80's?  Taking away our
personal freedoms is not the answer... how about the gov increase the
communication, cooperation and respect for the "worker bees" in their own
organizations for a start... seems like they had all the info they needed to
prevent 9/11 had these organizational dynamics been in place.

The irony is that the "conservatives" so to speak claim to be about reducing
big government and leaving people to create their own fates (i.e. lack of
gov interference in personal affairs)... somehow it never seems to work out
that way.

ok.. I'm done kiddies... (just joking... many on this list have the same or
similar memories)...

...next?

Saroj