[Rhodes22-list] Iraqi Democracy -- a couple of thoughts

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Mon May 22 00:11:04 EDT 2006

Robert,

I think you’re right, but I’d add two more critical ingredients for the
development of any useful democracy.

First, a healthy suspicion of government.  You see that in our Bill of
Rights.  I think the populace of other successful democracies have that  suspicion
also.  You don’t get that suspicion when the government is a  theocracy - god
is guiding the government, your job is to obey.

Second, an intrinsic acceptance and protection of diversity - for whatever
reason.  When this country was founded set asides were explicitly put in  place
to be sure that no one group would dominate everything (Republicans aside)  -
that’s why it’s a bicameral Congress and its why there is a complex system
of  checks and balances.  The people that wrote the Constitution had to accept
that people on the frontier a had different world view than those on the east
 coast, and that people in the north had much different world views than
people  in the south, that little states didn’t want to surrender their
sovereignty to  large states, etc - if the Constitution writers didn’t accept it, the
signers  wouldn’t sign it.  The Constitution was crafted to accommodate that
diversity.  In a majority driven theocracy that doesn’t happen,  particularly
when the religion is as intolerant as Islam.  Instead, the  evidence shows that
god will tell the majority 42 creative ways to kill whatever  minority
disagrees with them.

If you look around the Muslim world, you don't see many (I can't think of
any) successful democracies.  That is not an accident of  history.

Dave